Thursday, February 08, 2007

Luke Bundled up

Sorry I know the picture is sideways but it took forever to upload it so its staying that way :)
The orphanage is really more like a compound. It sits on about an acre with a large solid metal fence around the whole thing. (most of the houses in KO are that way too) Inside there are about 10 small buildings and play areas for the kids. They have one of the smaller buildings set up for the parents visiting hours. Luke's group is in a building next door. They take keeping the kids warm very seriously. When Luke is brought in he is bundled up and we bundle him up again to take him back. Think of the "Christmas story" the little brother all bundled up and couldn't move his arms or legs.
We went to the Bizare yesterday. Julia told us it was the "small" one. Its set up a lot like a swap meet would be back home. Rows and rows of vendors selling everything you could ever need here. Its bigger then any swap meet I have ever been to. I cant imagine what the larger one looks like. For employment here people either work in the oil industry or have a little shop at the Bizare or "mall". We bought a luxury item, a small plastic tub to make laundry easier to do. We figure it can work as a bathtub for Luke once we can bring him back to the hotel also.
Before we left I met a women on the Internet who lives here. We went to their house for dinner on Monday night. Mike and Leisa and their five adorable kids. They are an American family that has lived here a few years. She cooked a delicious dinner of Enchiladas, rice and beans. Dewey and I very nearly licked our plates clean. It was so nice to have good home cooked familiar food. We look forward to seeing them again.
Hope all is well with everyone.
Miss you!!
Stacey

2 comments:

Jennie said...

You made me cry!

What an adventure you're having! Who knew enchiladas would be a luxury?!? We're thinking of you all constantly and love you tons!

Anonymous said...

I Love Him!!! He beautiful.

Sorry I haven't written yet but I have never been on a blog before and didn't realize I could write back.

I love you guys and am so happy for you and can't wait to meet my nephew. By safe and tell him how cool his Aunt Liz is.