Sunday, March 11, 2007

FIELD TRIP


This photo is of a mauseleum( apologies for the mispelling) in Turkmeistan. It's about a 3 1/2 hour drive from where we're at now on some very bumpy freeway. It's considered one of the worlds largest mauseleums and dates back to 900 a.d., the construction of this building was amazing and still contains some of the logs used for scaffolding in the structure. Along the drive to get there we saw thousands and thousands of angora, cows, horses, donkeys and a few camels. None of them fenced in, most had a herder on horseback close by. It was kind of how I would picture the old west before barbwire was invented. It was a long day, especially without anyone but our cab driver Ravil and he doesnt speak english, but Stacey and I were glad we mad the trip to visit this sacred place. We are told that muslims around the world consider 6 visits to this shrine as equivalent to mecca. Miss you all.
Dewey

1 comment:

Kimmie said...

Hola!!!! I can't believe you guys will be home next week with Luke! I can't tell you how excited Drew and I are. He is especially excited to meet Luke and he calls first dibs on babysitting! :) I'm glad to see you guys have been able to get out a bit & see the sights, it is much different than I had envisioned. And, you guys got to take Luke "home" with you!!! That is fantastic! I am sure it will be amazing to experience everything through his eyes...especially since he hasn't been outside the orphanage before. What an exciting time for the three of you! I'm so happy I can't even tell you. He is one lucky little boy! And all the pics of you guys with him bring tears to my eyes. Yes, I know, I'm an emotional freak but still...it truly is so special. I hope he is adjusting well to being outside the orphanage...it is probably shocking for him to see all of the new surroundings and be sleeping in a different bed with his parents! What are the next steps? You need to get his visa then you leave? If you leave there on 22nd, when will you actually be home? We all miss you terribly and want you to come home NOW!!!!! But, I guess we can wait another week. :) You have your car in Las Vegas right? Just want to make sure you don't need a ride...if you do, just call me, k? I love you both tons & hope your next few days go by fast (for both of us!) Enjoy the last few days of Kazakhstan before you come home!!!! :) Love you always. XOXOXOXOOXO